Thursday, November 18, 2021

cool julie


photo by mac parsons 


 Why do we identify with certain wines, certain winemakers? 


This is what I found myself wondering as I started writing about Julie Balagny, a winemaker in France’s Beaujolais region. 


One answer has to do with consumerism and brand loyalty; the adage, I shop, therefore I am; the formation of self around the choice made in a purchase. This phenomenon feels as real as ever on the internet. 


But the consumerism answer doesn’t do justice to the meaning behind selecting a natural wine from a small maker. Partially because there’s no marketing team determining how to target your demographic. This also goes beyond values, beyond scale of enterprise. Maybe I’m just so steeped in consumerism that I think there’s something more - that I persist in thinking that the self can be reflected in its relationship to a thing it buys. 


My mind moves to Starbucks. One of Em’s many genius ideas is about teenage girls and the beverage chain, which she also calls ‘the milk store.’ Adolescents use their order at Starbucks as a tool for self formation, exploration and play. Are you into salted caramel, honey almond milk,  vanilla sweet cream? What size? Do you want foam or mist or whip? It might depend on how you’re feeling - Starbucks is the mood ring of taste. My own experience from age 10 - 18 going to Starbucks was like this. I went through phases, developed likes and dislikes, and I never ordered the same thing as my friends. 



Liking her wines does not equal one’s unique Starbucks order, a statement of consumer self, but I do feel invested in Julie’s wines. I didn’t realize just how much I liked her wines until my friends who also work in wine started gifting her wines to me on my birthday. They heard me raving about her wines, when I didn’t realize how much I had talked about them. I looked at my little stack of special wines to save at home a few years ago and realized, wow I have a lot of these wines, and I am so happy for it. Our friend Bradford Taylor from Diversey Wine and Ordinaire and his family gave my husband and me a case of her wine as a wedding present. 



The first wine from Julie that I brought into Red & White (where I was a wine buyer) is 2015 Mamouth, from the Moulin-à-Vent cru. I was able to special order it from New York where it seemed like maybe other buyers were afraid of it. A few of my colleagues liked how 2015 was more sellable to American palettes, that you could offer a Beaujolais that might appeal to someone who likes pinot noir only from central California for instance. But for the most part my wine peers liked to turn up their nose at 2015s, saying they were too big for their more discerning, delicate palettes. There’s this idea that Gamay as a grape tastes like red fruits, like cherry, strawberry, cranberry, not at all or much less so blue or black fruit like blackberry, blueberry, black currant. Mamouth tasted like blueberries and brambles. Mamouth showed this very different side of the grape variety, it had the structure of a bold and juicy Moulin-à-Vent, it may sound geeky, but this sort of novel reflection of fruit and structure was so exciting to me. 


Language means a lot to me so I’ve probably read more than I should into how she named this wine Mamouth -  just what it was, Beaujolais in a bigger body. To embrace that without expressing some hesitation, without needing to impress this particularly masculine brand of snobbishness that sneers at warm vintages, thinking them too lush, too curvaceous, struck me. The illustrations on each of her bottles are done in black and white watercolor, many made by Dauphine Chauvin. Her system of giving some wines discrete names indicates her investment in their expression. Some wines she makes almost every year if the weather allows from a certain vineyard, such as En Remont. Some like Sex Appeal originate in specific vintages, sometimes blends of different sites.


Julie’s wines are always expressing Beaujolais and her cellar. With all the really hot years we’ve experienced recently due to climate change, even a winemaker as experienced and sensitive as Julie makes wines that need a little while to rest before they come into their own. We are cellaring some 2019s now. Yet even with the heat, Julie’s wines never taste like a big Grenache or Carignan, like some of her peers in the Beaujolais and the Loire, they always feel like Gamay.   I think this may have something to do with her management of lees and sensitivity to ferments, but I’m just learning more about this, reading Max Léglise’s Vinification et Fermentation at a snail’s pace to try to understand. 



In the shop right now, we have an outstanding wine from Julie, O Bella Ciao 2017. This is a different kind of vintage to 2015, cooler in general, although this wine also feels fairly full and generous of fruit and body. There’s a bit more airiness and floral quality to this wine than Mamouth, to a wonderful effect. O Bella Ciao is an Italian protest folk song, originating with the Modina, the seasonal rice workers who were women, who faced atrocious working conditions, long hours and very low pay led to constant dissatisfaction. This led to riots in the early years of the 20th century. O Bella Ciao was adapted by the partisans into a world war two anti-fascist protest song. It is a folk song for the people, not the padroni, the bosses. For the modina, O Bella Ciao referred to saying goodbye to your family every day for many hours, having to leave them to face sometimes sixteen hour shifts in up to their knees weeding the rice fields. The lyrics 


Alla mattina appena alzata

o bella ciao bella ciao bella ciao, ciao, ciao

alla mattina appena alzata

in risaia mi tocca andar.


E fra gli insetti e le zanzare

o bella ciao bella ciao bella ciao ciao ciao

e fra gli insetti e le zanzare

un dur lavoro mi tocca far.


Il capo in piedi col suo bastone

o bella ciao bella ciao bella ciao ciao ciao

il capo in piedi col suo bastone

e noi curve a lavorar.


O mamma mia o che tormento

o bella ciao bella ciao bella ciao ciao ciao

o mamma mia o che tormento

io t'invoco ogni doman.


Ed ogni ora che qui passiamo

o bella ciao bella ciao bella ciao ciao ciao

ed ogni ora che qui passiamo

noi perdiam la gioventù.


Ma verrà un giorno che tutte quante

o bella ciao bella ciao bella ciao ciao ciao

ma verrà un giorno che tutte quante

lavoreremo in libertà.


In the morning I got up

oh bella ciao, bella ciao, bella ciao, ciao, ciao (Goodbye beautiful)

In the morning I got up

To the paddy rice fields, I have to go.


And between insects and mosquitoes

oh bella ciao, bella ciao, bella ciao, ciao, ciao

and between insects and mosquitoes

a hard work I have to work.


The boss is standing with his cane

oh bella ciao, bella ciao, bella ciao, ciao, ciao

the boss is standing with his cane

and we work with our backs curved.


Oh my mother, what a torment

oh bella ciao, bella ciao, bella ciao, ciao, ciao

oh my mother, what a torment

as I call you every morning.


And every hour that we pass here

oh bella ciao, bella ciao, bella ciao, ciao, ciao

and every hour that we pass here

we lose our youth.


But the day will come when us all

oh bella ciao, bella ciao, bella ciao, ciao, ciao

but the day will come when us all

will work in freedom.








I read on Bert Celce’s blog wineterroirs.com that “(Julie) says in 2018 for her 10th vintage in the Beaujolais and her 40th birthday, she offered herself the luxury to make zero appellation and bottle everything as vin de France.” The appellation is the institution responsible for overseeing the quality and origin of bottles, and judges wines by taste before granting the permission to label a wine as belonging to a certain appellation. Julie usually submits her wines to the Fleurie and Moulin-à-Vent appellations. When I read Bert’s blog post, before I could even think to explore whether or not it is based in fact, I am off  in my mind with a narrative about Julie being put through the ringer by the AOC for being a woman, for working as she does, for being independent. I’m searching for the resistance of Bella Ciao, thinking I’m finding evidence here. Fuck the fascist appellation. 


I asked our friend Bradford (Taylor, same one), who knows Julie well and who recently visited her at home, what Julie’s relationship to the appellation was like. He laughed when I mentioned this gift to herself for her birthday of taking a break from the AOC. He wrote to me later that he remembered Julie had actually worked on the appellation committee, and found that it was interesting and satisfying work. So my Bella Ciao seemed misplaced. There is no doubt Julie is an anti-fascist, but I tried to locate that in a way that was too broad, took too much liberty. 



 I think we rely on the belief that tasting wines with someone who made them can give you a lot of information about their work. One of the common critiques of natural wine is that it puts too much weight on the story behind the wine, rather than on the taste of the wine itself. I disagree, of course. The wine world’s places so much premium on terroir, the complete environment in which a wine is made, including soil and climate, as well as the people who make the wine. but I do believe that leaning so much on the persona behind the wine puts a lot of pressure on winemakers. 


Still, in an effort to understand the wines I love, I find myself extrapolating as much as I can from my interactions with winemakers, not just what they say but how they pour, what their tone is talking about one wine versus another, their body language. This becomes especially true with winemakers whose first language I don’t speak. I don’t speak French yet, and, although her English is good, I’ve felt like I don’t want to put Julie out by speaking it more than she has to when she’s visiting the US. I met Julie for the first time at Brumaire in 2018. Brumaire is a very beautiful wine fair that’s open to the public that Bradford, Josh Eubank from Percy Selections, Quinn Kimsey-White from Psychic and Matt Coelho from the Woods have put on in March in Oakland, California. 


The day before I arrived at Brumaire in 2018 I saw my friend Mac posted a pic of her at the beach with the caption cool julie. In my muddled memory she is standing in a way like she’s on a surfboard, knees bent, looking happy and suave. I asked Mac for the photo, and it’s different from what I remember. She is standing near, making eye contact with the camera, while pouring from a magnum of wine by Oriol Artigas, and smiling. 



I don’t think I tasted the wines in 2018 at Brumaire, I think I was helping out at the event and failed to make it to her table on time. I got to eat cheeseburgers with Tom Lubbe from Matassa and Julie at Ordinaire in 2018, during the post fair party. It was a great party, very loud and not especially conducive to grilling Julie on her ferments, on her relationship to the AOC, etc. I was even more shy about talking to winemakers than I am now. Julie and Tom could not be more friendly, and keen to chat, but I think maybe I was too star struck. In 2019 I returned with Mac, Em, our friends Ari and Ann Marie, and when we approached her table to taste at the fair she shouted, Les Filles!!! With such warmth it felt like a hug. She came around her table to pour the wines for us with such attention and detail. I honestly might have more to say but need to end this blog post before I collapse. I’ll end with an invitation to try Julie’s wines, if you haven’t, and keep drinking them with me each vintage along with me. <3 






No comments:

Post a Comment